Thursday, May 28, 2009

MOOSE

We went up to my parent's cabin for Memorial Day weekend and went for a hike Monday morning after breakfast. We came across this lovely lady whilst making our way up the trail. The funny thing was that my mom pointed out the hoof prints on the trail and I was just about to say "those look like they're new" when my mom spotted our friend here. She eyed us as we passed by but thanks to 2 noisy kids, I think we had given her enough warning we were coming and we didn't seem to startle her.
Grace found an earthworm on the hike too and wanted to hike with it. I was okay with the idea until she tripped and nearly smashed it all over her hand. After that I made her let me carry it on the end of a stick (which happened to be a wand to open blinds with that she had insisted upon bringing on the hike). Grandpa soon pointed out that he wouldn't last long that way so we found him a new home under a rock. I didn't think to take a picture of that adventure until it was over.
We came across some water on our trail. The water is crazy high up the canyon right now.
Grace talked Buck into letting her get wet, which meant he had to get wet too. He's a good sport.
I love this picture even though Buck is the only one that looks normal (barring his wet feet). Grace is busy jamming trail mix down her throat. Luke's hood is up because I forgot to put sunscreen on his scar. I have lost my favorite sunglasses...or misplaced them...and have been wearing these ones in the meantime but when I smile, my cheeks lift the glasses up out of place on my face and they look silly. Oh, well. We had a very fun weekend.

4 comments:

Bekah said...

Of all the years I have spent up that canyon I have never seen a moose. Haven't you had moose run ins a few times now?

Kim C. said...

I can't believe you've never seen one! I see one at least once or sometimes twice a year.

Lisa said...

Maybe we see moose because we have been trained by the game-sighting master! We also seem to see one at least once a year. Or, maybe because Bekah isn't lollygagging with kids in tow, she doesn't have enough time to stumble across one?

Lauren B. said...

That hike looks so awesome!!! I would love to see a moose!