Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Gingerbread"

Every time we have passed a gingerbread house kit at the store this year, Grace has pulled it off the shelf and asked me to buy it.  I kept promising we would do them but that I wasn't going to buy a kit.  I did once.  The stuff in it was gross.  It was all for looks and none for taste.  What fun is that if you can't enjoy eating what you've created too?  So I decided to create our own version using graham crackers and candy that would actually taste good too.  The kids and I headed over to Walmart to stock up on the candy on Friday night so we would be ready to go Sunday when Buck was actually home to join us.  He was gone Tuesday-Saturday night last week!  Busy man!
Grace decided she wanted to make a house (she wanted it 2 stories tall too).

Lucas "made" a train.  But found the decorations much more interesting.  He was just sort of the project manager while Buck built it for him.



Grace's turned out just how she wanted it and she started going to town adding the decorations...
It was not structurally sound.  There were some tears.  I tried my best to rebuild it but it was too heavy.  Then she said she wanted a train like Lucas had and I did my best to give her one.

She didn't like that it wasn't skinny like his, etc. but after much convincing (and some threatening of never again...), she was content with what she had. Lots of lessons were learned for the next time we attempt something like this. Either way, the best part was eating the candy and making something fun!

1 comment:

Kate the Plate said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!