Friday, December 4, 2009

Dear kid on my doorstep,

When you show up on my doorstep with a pamphlet in your hand for me, you are soliciting something. I don't care if your services are "free", you are still soliciting my time and energy to throw you off my porch. I appreciate that you're trying to earn money for college. Been there, done that (with a job that required a W-4). The reason I have a posted a "No Soliciting" sign is simply because if I wanted my carpets cleaned or my wood floors polished, (or chemical free household cleaners or magazine subscriptions or home security systems) I would be seeking you out. When you argue my polite refusal of your services more than once, I WILL shut my door in your face. Every time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

amen.

Amy said...

OH, you have no idea how much I agree with that! It's like the guy at the mall who tries to get you to try to stupid lotion he is selling! If I wanted some random dude rubbing my hands for everyone to see, I would come to you!

Lisa said...

Remember the time I was on the phone with you when one of those guys showed up and he started getting violent on my porch?? I was so glad you were there so you could call 911 if you overheard anything scary! What part of "I'm not interested" do you not understand?

Kim C. said...

Amy, OR the Dead Sea guys that want to buff ONE of your nails really shiny. SO annoying! Its funny to be there when they approach Buck because he has a "problematic" nail and so he offers them that one and they ask him for a different one. He says if they can't make that one look nice, then he's not interested.
Lisa, I do remember that guy while I was on the phone with you. I think he was selling magazines that day wasn't he?