This June was the 5th June that we have been living in our house. Every year our cute neighbors who are in possession of the most enormous cherry tree I have ever seen tell me that I can pick their cherries if I want to. For 4 years I regretted never getting around to it before the birds took them all. I was determined to pick them this year and finally did! It was quite the adventure due to the actual size of said tree. Niki came over to pick some too and it was a good thing because it turned in to a 2 person job! After we picked all we could reach from the ground, I wasn't satisfied to still see so many cherries up there looking all red and yummy so I hoisted myself up and started pushing the branches down to a reachable height. I picked all the ones I could reach myself but a lot of them were out on the end of the branches and I was a bit too heavy to climb to the end of them.

I was splitting my body weight between 2 branches because neither of them felt very sturdy while I pulled down on a branch for Niki to reach.


Grace took this picture of the cherries we had picked so far.

Grace's self portrait.

Grace snapped a shot of Niki.

Buck with the camera again. I don't know why Grace looks so disgusted with her cherry.

Luke was laying with Dad in the shade

Grace picked up my abandoned sunglasses and put on a show!

Pushing with all my strength to get the branch to a reachable height from the ground.

The spoils.

Later that night we found this little guy in our backyard under Charlie's (our cat) tail. We tried to give him some worms to eat until his mom could come find him but he didn't make it. He was dead by the next morning. All my kids know is that the bird's mommy found him and took him home. Buck says I killed him because I probably knocked him out of the tree in my cherry picking madness. I say not because he was in our backyard and the tree is in their front yard but who knows. Maybe I am a birdie killer. I keep thinking all the extra bird noise in my yard lately is the birds plotting their revenge against me.
1 comment:
I loved seeing you in the tree! I hope the cherries were delicious!
That bird is a baby quail. They hatch on the ground and can't fly when they look like the one in your picture.
Post a Comment