Friday, July 23, 2010

particular

I have never been a person that LOVES shopping, but there are certain things that I love to shop for. My greatest weaknesses are for books, shoes and swimsuits.
One day, my house will have a library in it (picture Disney's Beauty and the Beast on a slightly smaller scale). I have wanted a house with a library forever. Floor to ceiling bookshelves and really comfortable chairs to sit in. Public libraries are great, but I love to OWN my books. I can't tell you why exactly. I guess I like the fact that when I really like a book, I can read it whenever I want without having to leave the house to get it. I have a couple books that I keep in my nightstand because they are my most favorite.
As for the shoes and swimsuits, those are kind strange obsessions. Most of my shoes only get worn in the winter because I wear nothing but flip flops during the summer. Ever since I lived in Hawaii and discovered how great a pair of $2 broken-in flip flops feel on your feet, I've never gone back. Still, I cannot help but pause to drool over the shoe department or the shoe stores whenever I'm at the mall. And the swimsuits? Even stranger, I think. I have been to the pool once this summer, yet have 2 new suits this year. There was a point in my life when I owned 8 swimsuits. 8. That is more than one for each day of the week. I currently own 4. Far more than I obviously need yet there isn't a one I am ready to part with, yet. The sad thing is that these obsessions extend to my children too. Don't even get me started on swimsuits for Grace and Luke. She only has 2 and he only 1, but that is only due to my extreme self control (or self denial). I haven't done as well with their shoes. They both have way more than any little kid could wear out on their own.

2 comments:

Bekah said...

I want a floor to ceiling library too! I also want one of those ladders on wheels. I think it would be great to have a comfortable reading room.

I have a shoe obsession too. I was just thinking today I need to go through my shoes and get rid of the ones I haven't worn in forever.

Lisa said...

So, what I want to know is, do either of you (Bekah or Kim) plan on getting rid of any of your obsessive purchases in MY size??