Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dud of a mother...

Yesterday was Grace's first day of kindergarten. When we got in the car to go to school, she started to have second thoughts about going. She kept telling me, "Mom, I'm not 5 yet. I'm not old enough for kindergarten." and "Don't leave me, Mom. Don't leave me at kindergarten alone." I assured her that she would be fine and her friend Quincy would be there with her. She went in with her class and was a little teary when it was time for me to go. Her teacher said she had one other sort of melt down moment but recovered from it really fast and did fine the rest of the day.
So the reason I am such a dud of a mother is that I didn't even document it with a picture. Totally forgot my camera. Luke is taking a dance class that goes right up until the time that she's supposed to be at school and I had no time to get my camera between...once I realized I didn't have it. I was going to pick her up after school because I was supposed to meet with her teacher for some stuff but she forgot about a faculty meeting, etc, etc so we pushed it back. Grace decided she wanted to take the bus home so I loaded her on. The bus left late because of first day of school madness and so I thought I could be a few minutes late to meet her off the bus. I was too late and missed her coming off the bus and I also forgot my camera for that too which didn't matter since I missed it anyway.
I asked her how her first day was and she told me "Mom, I missed you and I cried a little bit at kindergarten." Other than that she seemed to have fun and could tell me they played a colors game.
Today I told her she needed to get dressed for school and she burst into tears "No, I don't want to go to school!" I had to bribe her into getting dressed! When we were in the car on the way over there today she kept telling me not to leave her alone but I told her I could only stay for a little while today but I'd see her when she got off the bus. And I was actually there on time. I was determined I would be there today since I was such a bum yesterday. I tried to get some pictures of her coming off but there were cars that kept driving in the way (which, hello, idiots, when there is a school bus, you STOP) and then she was behind our neighbor boy in the only shot a car didn't block. I got one of her on the grass once she was across the street. I asked her how her second day was and she said, "I didn't cry today, Mom." I think she is having a hard time adjusting to a new routine since school has basically been the same for 2 years now but she'll get the hang of it. Maybe she'll end up being like me...the nerdy little kid that was terrified of being late or missing school.
(for a minute I thought she had taken off her pants at school or something but she has this weird habit of pulling her leggings up to her thighs which she must have done at some point during the school day)

2 comments:

Buck said...

Dearest, I was a nerdy kid too. I always wanted to be on time. She will probably get her school work ethic from me, the stalwart academic and diligent student. My solid C average was a testament to the great fidelity and care that I showed to each one of my courses. You can thank me in advance.

Michelle S. said...

Doh!! That neighbor kid!!! Sorry about blocking the shot.