Monday, September 28, 2009

built for power and speed

We had so much fun this weekend driving down to Cedar City and St. George where Buck did the Kokopelli Triathlon. The weather was beautiful and Buck did great...well, I think so. He hardly trained for this thing. Not even close to how he trained for his marathon anyway. So for a first timer, I think he was awesome. His overall time was 1 hour 44 minutes. This was just a tri-sprint so he swam a 1/2 mile, biked 13.something miles and then ran a 5k (3.1 miles) to finish. Way to go Buck! I think his next event is going to be a half marathon on Halloween.
We stayed the night in Cedar City at Buck's brother's beautiful new house. Beautiful because of all the work he's done on it. He and his wife are fixing it up beautifully. I forget how annoying it is to sleep in the same room as Lucas until we go somewhere on vacation and I do it. He is such a noisy sleeper. He tosses and turns and makes little grunts and snorts almost all night. Grace makes the perfect roommate for him because I sure can't sleep with him in the room. The cute thing is that he tossed all over the room until he finally snuggled up close to Grace here. I think he just needs something or someone to snuggle while he sleeps. He loads his bed with stuffed animals and I wonder if that is why. He must get it from me as I used to sleep with a zillion stuffed animals on my bed when I was little. He's a thumb sucker too which I also was for a good portion of my childhood.
This is Buck after his race (obviously). We got there about 10 minutes after he had finished so I didn't get to take any finish line shots.
This random picture is of a preying mantis that was on our porch when we got home. The sticker on the porch is one that Grace put there to share with him. She threw a fit when I tried to make her come inside without him so we made him a little cage and he lived in our house for the afternoon. She named him Charlie. She put his little cage into her backpack and zipped him in and walked all around the house with him on her back. I finally let him go while she was distracted in the bathtub and then hid the parts of his cage so as not to remind her he was gone. I have a feeling she might remember at school today when she unzips her bag and realizes he's not in there anymore....

3 comments:

Bruns Family said...

Great Job Buck!!! I'm impressed!!
Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Amanda said...

Congrats, Buck! That's awesome! If you ever need gear, let's talk...I can probably work out a discount for you...

Kim C. said...

So, Manda, this gear you speak of...