Thursday, January 31, 2008

what if i told you....

My caller ID has been FULL of "800 Service" numbers this week. Our number must have hit a new telemarketing list. I have answered several calls to get no one on the other end of the line but the 2 that someone has been there, have both been nearly the same conversation. In the past I have been the kind of person to say "No, thanks." immediately and just hang up on them but this time I've listened to them read their sales pitch and politely declined their offer. Here is how the 2 conversations have gone down after that:

(For the auto club offer)
Me: That does sound like a great deal, but I'm not interested in it.
him: But it's only $1 for a 2 month trial. Only a dollar.
Me: I know, that's really cheap but I'm happy with my car club and I don't really want to give you all my credit card information over the phone to be charged only a dollar.
him: But this is the top rated car club in the country right now. You'd be crazy not to join.
Me: Right, well, I guess I'm crazy because I'm still not interested and your arguing with me is not making me any more interested. Thank you. Good bye.

(For the Home Protection offer)
Me: No, thanks. It's sounds great but I'm not interested.
him: Well, you don't have to make any decisions right now. Let me just verify that I can send you our literature on the program and you can decide later. You'll be billed $29.95 a month on your mortgage and all your major appliances in your home will be covered.
Me: Well, we just bought 4 of the 6 things you said were covered and they're all still under warranty for repairs or replacement.
him: This is a different kind of warranty.
Me: Right. I'm still not interested. Please do not mail me anything because I do not want this.
him: This will help you save money.
Me: $30 a month is not saving money to me. I would rather keep my $30 and use it myself if something does break in my house.
him: But it's like a dollar a day.
Me: And that's $365 a year and I'm not impressed with your arguing. No is no. I'll just save my money. Thanks. Good bye.
And I hung up to more protests from this guy. I suppose I will just go back to not even letting them give their pitch because they seem to think they can get me to buy whatever they're selling if they do.

I wonder how many people can be convinced just to send their one dollar out for this awesome deal. It's like the time I was watching an informercial on a vacuum (I couldn't reach the remote) and they said "what if I told you that you could have this great vacuum not for $2500, not $2000, not $1800, but for 4 easy payments of $499.99." Hmmm... that sounds a lot like $2000 to me. It must be a great deal when they put those big dramatic X's over the prices you're not paying. Right.

1 comment:

Michelle S. said...

Can I just say that I am more like you but I have a son that is related very closely to his paternal grandparents. I am really worried that common sense is just not in his DNA. These people (on the phone and television) are just too appealing. Parker really bites on the lure they are throwing out there. Sometimes when everyone else is sleeping Parker is up before dawn and down in the living room watching infomercials. When I wake up, I get to hear the pitch from my son. How do you tell your son "No thanks, take me off your calling list!"?