Monday, July 6, 2009

Colorado Vacation

The last week in June, we went to Estes Park, CO for a family trip. We stayed at the YMCA there and had a lot of fun. Our room in the lodge sort of felt like a dorm room, but we had our own bathroom. I finally know what John Denver had to sing about. Colorado was beautiful!
The kids were up and down the bunk bed every time we were back in our room.
This was the place where we ate all of our meals.
We were at a family camp and the first morning they had an "Amazing Race" that was not really race at all but more of a get to know you game for all the families there. This was one of the stops...it was a rock maze.
This was another stop that day. The night before, we all played miniature golf for the opening social in the pouring rain.
We took a wagon ride where I learned where the meaning to the lyrics "bells on bob tails ring". I guess they bob the tails of these horses when they are born and they never grow a long tail.
Luke on the hayride.
All of us on the hay ride.
We had some time between the hayride and dinner so we went to explore Estes Park. It was the cutest town.
The kids did some window shopping.
The 2nd day, we had some free time and decided to drive through Rocky Mountain National Park.

This was lunch on the 2nd day (it was the 6th meal we had eaten there) and Lucas and Grace both finally ate something besides dry Fruit Loops and chocolate milk. Luke thoroughly enjoyed the mac and cheese.
Grace was fascinated with the statue. I don't think she was sure if they were real kids or not. She kept asking to go back to the statue.
If you look hard, you can see the jack rabbit that Grace is chasing across the lawn.
We saw some elk. This picture is funny because Grace is desperately trying to pull away from Buck so she can go talk to the elk.
We played on one of the playgrounds there and Luke kept dangling himself from this bar and as soon as he dropped down I would hear, "Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom....." until I came to rescue him. His feet were only like 2 inches above the ground, but he still didn't dare drop.
We all had fun on the tire swing.
The kids found a digger to explore. Grace of course found a spot to reach and get grease all over her hands.
The last night, there was a barbeque and the kids got to ride ponies. I had a picture of Grace riding one too but I guess I didn't upload it.
We could hear water nearby and hiked to find it. Grace is yet again, trying to get down there to explore it.
We saw this little baby as we were leaving where the BBQ had been.
Grace snapped these shots while we were talking to the ranger at RMNP again. We found out that she can get a lifetime pass to all the Ntl. parks and went to see about it. Pretty cool. As long as she is with us, we can get in to all the Ntl. parks now.

We were going to go back the quick route home on I-80 but decided last minute to go on Hwy. 40 which meant driving all the way through Rocky Mtn. Ntl. Park. It was beautiful, but slow because you go through so many small towns. The road is very windey and Grace got car sick about 4 times. Poor thing. The last time that it happened, she told Buck (who was working on cleaning her up), "I don't like that."
This is the biggest rack I've ever seen in person by far. He walked right in front of our car as we were going through the park. Pretty cool.

5 comments:

Bekah said...

It looks like you guys had a blast

Lauren B. said...

That looks like an amazing trip!! How fun!!

Stacy Evans said...

Those are some amazing pictures, and looks like an absolutely fabulous camp! What fun!

Lisa said...

I love the picture of you at Rocky Mountain National Park holding both the kids. You always look so cute!

Lisa said...

oops...i meant Estes Park